ABOUT BACCHUS MARSH TOURISM ASSOCIATION
The township of Bacchus Marsh is found within Moorabool Shire, located 55km West of Melbourne on the Western Highway en-route to Ballarat. The town's central location enables an easy 35 minute drive to Ballarat, Geelong or to Melbourne’s Tullamarine Airport.
Bacchus Marsh Tourism Association is an independent not for profit organisation.
The Bacchus Marsh Tourism Association conducts two major events each year and is dedicated to growing awareness of our fabulous region and local produce, both within our community, and across Australia. Some of our most popular local activities include strawberry picking, cherry picking, shopping for local produce along the historic Bacchus Marsh Avenue of Honour, and of course taking time out for some wine and cider tasting at the Bacchus Hill Winery & Restaurant.
We run the BACCHUS MARSH Harvest Festival in March & the Strawberries & Cherries Weekend in November.
The Bacchus Marsh Harvest Festival takes place on the third Sunday in March each year.
The Strawberries & Cherries Weekend takes place on the third weekend in November each year.
These events seek to encourage more visitors to discover the beauty of Bacchus Marsh.
The Management Committee is largely made-up of a small group of dedicated and hard-working local business people. Membership of the association is open to anyone who wishes to work towards promoting tourism in the Bacchus Marsh Region.
OUR MISSION ...
To Increase the number of Visitors to Bacchus Marsh and boost the income and economic benefit for local business.
Contact Us: email@example.com
Did You Know?
Bacchus Marsh is internationally famous for its gateway, the Avenue of Honour. Planted in August 1918, to honour Bacchus Marsh's finest young men who enlisted in World War One. It is the last remaining Avenue of Dutch Elms in the world.
Before white settlement three rivers flowed into the Bacchus Marsh valley coursing through a delta of the most fertile soils. The original custodians, two Aboriginal tribes the Wurundjeri and Wathaurung luxuriated in this abundant basin teeming with fish and wildlife. The first European settler was Kenneth Scobie Clarke who brought his sheep to the valley in 1836, barely 12 months after John Batman decided Melbourne was an ideal spot for a village. Two years later Clarke moved to higher ground in the Pentland Hills making way for Captain William Henry Bacchus and his flocks. The English captain of the Royal Surrey militia, built the manor house (1847) overlooking the settlement that carries his name.
The township’s early development was boosted by the discovery of gold in Ballarat (1851) to the west and many of today’s hotels played host to the travelling diggers. Navigating the valley in winter however was perilous journey until the aimless Lerderderg River was diverted into the Werribee. This helped drain the marsh, unlocking the fertile soils to a range of agriculture, from market gardening and lucerne, to dairying and apple growing. Today these flats are preserved for a verdant rural lifestyle for twenty thousand residents.
Information about our events can be found on our site, plus many others such as www.whitehat.com.au
Previous page: Media
Next page: Valued Sponsors of the Strawberries & Cherries Weekend